Parks & Historical Sites

Battlefield Park 
Located adjacent to the Keeper's House (Wolcott House) on Bayshore Road. Amenities: Scenic bridge, historic monument, picnic tables.

Bark until Dark
- Dog Park - S. Bridge Road (SR 269 South) across from Police Station. Park Hours: 8 a.m. to Sunset
  • Aggressive and/or unfriendly dogs are prohibited. Your dog must be able to play with other dogs.
  • Dogs younger than 4 months old are not permitted in the off-leash area.
  • Children under the age of 12 are not permitted in the off-leash area. Children aged 13-17 must be accompanied by an adult. Dog handlers must be at least 18 years of age.
  • Dogs must be leashed when entering and exiting the park.
  • Enter through the double-gate entry. Unleash your dog in the holding area first, then open the inside gate to the leash-free area. Keep all gates closed except when entering or leaving. Remove pinch or choke collars in the off-leash area. Keep the leash in your hand at all times.
  • Dogs must be closely supervised and within sight and voice control of their handler at all times. No more than 2 dogs per handler are permitted. Never leave your dog unattended.
  • Users of this park do so at their own risk. Owners are responsible for damage or injury inflicted by their dog(s). Danbury Township shall not be liable for any injury or damage caused by any dog in this park.
  • Female dogs in heat are not permitted in the off-leash area.
  • All dogs need to be current on vaccinations and licenses. Proof of current rabies vaccination and license is required upon request of police or animal control officers. Tags may serve as proof.
  • Do not bring a dog with contagious conditions or illnesses to the park.
  • NO food or dog treats in the off-leash area. NO glass containers in the off-leash area. NO smoking in the off-leash area.
  • Owners are required to pick up their dog’s waste and deposit it in the containers provided.
  • Leash up and leave if your dog is having a bad day.
  • Fill any holes your dog digs.
  • Act responsibly! Failure to follow park rules may result in a loss of privileges or you may be ticketed.

Dempsey Access
Located on Bayshore Road just south of Quarry Road. Amenities: Public boat launch ramp, breakwall, fishing, hiking, restrooms, secluded forest area.


East Harbor State Park
Located on State Route 269 north just north of State Route 163 (East Harbor Road). Amenities: Camping, large public beach, nature trails, picnic benches, shelter house, restrooms, swimming, fishing, hiking, biking, sledding, ice skating, cross country skiing. (419) 734-9337 or (419) 734-5857. The East Harbor State Park Public Marina is located approximately one mile north of the main park and offers boat launches, fuel, boat slips, public restrooms and a ship's store (419) 734-2289.

Great Egret Marsh Preserve
Located in the heart of the East, Middle, and West Harbors System of Lakeside-Marblehead, open year round, dawn to dusk.

The 150-acre Great Egret Marsh Preserve boasts classic Lake Erie marshland, blanketed each summer with water lotus and teaming with wildlife.  The preserve is a haven for waterfowl and wading birds—including great egrets, which can congregate there in abundance.These large, wading birds native to this part of Lake Erie can often be found feeding in the area’s shallow waters.  Visitors to the preserve will find opportunities for bird-watching, fishing, hiking, kayaking/canoeing and volunteering. The easy to navigate trail is a 1.2-mile loop with interpretive signage and a portion of the trail is wheelchair accessible.

Directions: 
From S.R. 2, take S.R. 269 North exit. After 2.5 miles, turn right onto S.R. 163 (E. Harbor Road). Next light approximately 1/2 mile, turn left onto S.R. 269 North (N. Buck Road). 3/4-mile, turn left onto Buck Road 139A. Go 500 feet and the entrance to the preserve will be on your right. 

GPS Coordinates:
41.540989, -82.822400

Johnson's Island Confederate Cemetery
Located on South Confederate Drive. Accessible via $2.00 toll on the Johnson's Island Causeway. Reached by heading south on Gaydos Drive just off Bayshore Road. The remainder of the island beyond the cemetery is privately owned. Open from dawn till dusk.


Keeper's House (Wolcott House)
Keeper's House (Wolcott House)
Located on Bayshore Road approximately one-half mile west of the entrance to the access road for the Johnson's Island Causeway. Built in the 1800's as the home of Benajah and Rachel Wolcott, both of whom were lighthouse keepers. The house is open for tours periodically from May to October, for special events, and during the annual Autumn Lighthouse Festival in October. An interpretive sign and historic marker on the grounds provides a detailed history of this unique "federal style" residence.


Lake Point Park
Located on Bayshore Road just south of the Marblehead Lighthouse State Park. Amenities: Picnic tables, shelter house, grills, restrooms, quarry pond, scenic woods, lake access, fishing, children's playground, covered footbridge.

Lakeside Chautauqua on Lake Erie
Main entrance located just off Erie Beach Road (north of State Route 163). Detailed information on this Chautauqua style resort can be found on www.lakesideohio.com. Gate fees are charged from mid-June until Labor Day.

Lakeside Daisy State Park 
Located on Alexander Pike just south of Main Street (State Route 163) in the Village of Marblehead. This land was donated to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources by LaFarge Corporation. It is the site of the largest concentration of the rare Lakeside Daisy. The park is open only during May while the flower is in bloom. Access during other months is by permit only.

Marblehead Lighthouse State Park
Located on Bayshore Road (State Route 163) next to St. Mary's Byzantine Church. Amenities: Picnic tables, park area, shore fishing, restrooms, museum. The oldest continuously working light on the Great Lakes. Built in 1821 and now operated by the State of Ohio. Call East Harbor State Park at (419) 734-4424 for more information. The Lighthouse is open for guided tours beginning the Tuesday after Memorial Day until the Friday before Labor Day from 1 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday and the second Saturday of the month from June through October from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. All tours are conducted on a first-come first-served sign-in basis. There is a $2 charge for anyone age 6 and over to climb the lighthouse. The on-site museum is free.
 

Museum at the Marblehead Lighthouse State Park 
The Marblehead Lighthouse Historical Society operates a museum in the Keeper's House at the Lighhouse State Park. This two story frame house was built in 1880 to house the lighthouse keeper in four rooms on the first floor and an assistant keeper in four rooms upstairs. An original keeper's house of native stone was built in 1822 and razed in 1880. The museum is dedicated to preserve the history of the Village of Marblehead and its historic lighthouse built in 1821. Marblehead Light is the oldest light in continuous operation on the Great Lakes. It is said to be the most visited, photographed, and painted structure in the State of Ohio. The museum has registered over 30,000 visitors annually since opening in 2000. The Society was founded in 1998. The museum is open the same hours as the Lighthouse. Memberships to the Society, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, are $10 for single and $25 for family. Applications may be sent to Marblehead Lighthouse Historical Society at P.O. Box 144, Marblehead, OH 43440.

Mazurik Access
Located on North Shore Boulevard just north of State Route 163 (East Harbor Road). Amenities: Public boat launch, breakwall, fishing, restrooms.

Meadowbrook Marsh
Located on E. Bayshore Road one-half mile west of Dempsey Access. Amenities: Picnic table, park benches, observation deck, paved biking/walking trails, grass and mulched walking trails along the prairie and in the forest. Scenic views of wetland marsh.

In 2000 the Township Trustees made an unprecedented purchase of 33 ares of forest and brook area. Township residents Tim Nash and his late wife, Sylvia, graciously offered this property known as Meadowbrook to the Township at well-below market value. This natural preserve area is home to gulls, heron, geese, ducks, migrating waterfowl, an assortment of water life and wildlife and bald eagles. 

In December 2001 the Township secured a matching fifty-percent grant from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to purchase the wetland area of Meadowbrook that is adjacent to the current property. The Department of Natural Resources, The Ottawa County Soil and Water Conservation District and Pheasants Forever extended their full support of this acquisition. The prior Meadowbrook parcel as well as the fifty-percent matches for the wetland area was funded solely with estate tax dollars.

In May 2007 the Trustees were awarded $221,787 from the Ohio Public Works Commission to purchase and additional 46 acres of Meadowbrook property. Danbury Township provided 45% match of $181,462. Once again, this match amount came from estate tax dollars. With the Township's Meadowbrook holdings now reaching nearly 110 acres, a citizen team was gathered to create goals for developing approximately 79 non-wetland acres into a public park. The Trustees hired The Collaborative, Inc. a park-planning consulting firm to assist with this project and to plan hiking and biking trails along with low-density recreational uses accessible to the physically challenged. This project has focused on protection of native plant species and wildlife while allowing the public to enjoy the pristine, natural atmosphere of Meadowbrook Marsh. The Board of Trustees is extremely proud to have made these three acquisitions with no expense whatsoever to the taxpayers. 

During 2008 the rustees were awarded three additional grants from ODNR for Meadowbrook. A $50,000 grant from the Office of Coastal Management in conjunction with support by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration was awarded for a 1,121-foot paved multi-use trail and 80-foot long pond-side boardwalk. $40,000 was awarded by Natureworks for a 3-acre land acquisition and an additional $40,000 was awarded by Land and Water Conservation for construction of a 1,676-foot paved multi-use looped trail. Township matches for these three grants vary from twenty-five to slightly more than fifty-percent. Also during 2008 the Ottawa County Community Foundation awarded the trustees a $1,500 grant which was used to purchase park benches and an ADA picnic table. Natureworks also permitted part of their grant funding to encompass paving two ADA accessible parking spaces and a connecting paved ADA trail to meet up with the existing ADA trails. In 2010 the Clean Ohio Trails Fund (COTF) awarded $126,343 for 4,000 additional feet of ADA accessible paved trails in conjunction with a grant from the Recreational Trails Program in the amount of $43,317 to complete the project.

The paved trails along with intersecting grass and mulched trails are open to the public year-round from dawn to dusk. The Township does not permit hunting, motorized vehicles or horses in the preserve.

Wolcott Cemetery
Located off Huron Trail approximately one-half mile behind the Keeper's House (Wolcott House). This is the burial site of Benajah Wolcott and others.


Website Builder